Quantity: 1 available
Networking technologies and practices are constantly evolving. Equip your students with an understanding that helps them keep pace with Internet time.
In this carefully focused revision of the best-selling first edition, authors Peterson and Davie reiterate their commitment to a systems-oriented approach to networking instruction. Focusing on the "why" of network design" not just the specifications comprising today's systems but how key technologies and protocols actually work in the real world to solve specific problems" they promote an enduring, practical understanding of networks and their building blocks.
The second edition incorporates coverage of Quality of Service issues, mobile and wireless networks, VPNs, and much more. Over 100 new exercises help users consolidate and expand their knowledge.
No other textbook offers a more solid grounding for aspiring network professionals. Computer Networks: A Systems Approach gives your students the knowledge and perspective they need and gives you the tools you need to maximize their learning experience:
* Unparalleled instruction from an expert team of authors. The authors bring over 30 years of experience in networking research, development and teaching to the task of describing the principles and practical implementation of computer networks. Both have played key roles in defining and implementing many of the protocols discussed inside.
* Cutting-edge coverage. The second edition has been thoroughly updated to cover the most recent advances in networking, including:
* a new chapter on security techniques - PGP, IPSEC, secure sockets and firewalls
* a new chapter on application layer protocols - SMTP,HTTP, SNMP, DNS and RTP
* new material on wireless and mobile technology- spread spectrum techniques and 802.11
* new section on building VPN's on top of the public Internet
* Expanded treatment of key issues. Topics such as Internet routing, Quality of Service, congestion control, ATM, compression and multimedia communications now delve deeper to reflect changes that have taken place over the past four years.
* Effective pedagogical components. Alongside the authors' clear explanations and insights, you'll find pedagogical components that significantly enhance students' understanding:
* Problem statements" the practical design challenges met by the techniques covered in each chapter
* Shaded sidebars" explorations of advanced topics
* Highlighted summary paragraphs" distillations of key network design principles
* Open Issues" guided discussions of controversial networking issues
* Further reading" pointers to definitive papers related to each chapter's coverage
* Completely revamped end-of-chapter exercises The second edition offers over 100 new end-of-chapter exercises, the result of a substantial editing and development effort by a seasoned networking instructor, Peter Dordal of Loyola University.
* The optimal pedagogical approach. Encyclopedic and "layered" approaches cover required material but leave critical questions unanswered. Peterson and Davie focus on systems" how they interweave technology and technique to meet practical needs. Adding layer-focused considerations where necessary, the authors teach students why networks are designed as they are and cultivate the skills needed to build the networks of the future.
* Real-worldimplementation examples. New to this edition, operating system-independent C code is used with pseudocode to illustrate protocol implementation throughout. The first edition's x-kernel examples continue to be available online.
Title: Computer Networks: A Systems Approach Second Edition
Publisher: Saint Louis, Missouri, U.S.A., Morgan Kaufmann Pub: 1999
ISBN Number: 1558605142
ISBN Number 13: 9781558605145
Binding: Hard Cover
Book Condition: Very Good
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: 034351
Description: Very good condition. No interior writing or highlighting. Loose binding. Computer Networks: A Systems Approach Second Edition By Peterson, Larry L.;Davie, Bruce S. The second edition incorporates coverage of Quality of Service issues, mobile and wireless networks, VPNs, and much more. Product Details Hardcover: 749 pages Publisher: Morgan Kaufmann; 2 Sub edition (October 25, 1999) Language: English ISBN-10: 1558605142 ISBN-13: 9781558605145 Product Dimensions: 9.2 x 7.4 x 1.6 inches
Keywords: Computer Networks: A Systems Approach Second Edition